On International Women’s Day, March 8, 2017, the Equal Pay Coalition sent Premier Kathleen Wynne a letter calling on her to “commit to take active steps now to close the gender pay gap.” Recommended steps to that goal included:
- Increasing funding to the Pay Equity Commission
- Increasing funding for proactive employment standards enforcement
- Raising the minimum wage to $15/hour
- Ensuring that broader public sector support employers are appropriately funded
- Implementing a gender and equity lens in the current provincial budget process
Read the entire letter here.
Premier Wynne responded on March 24, 2017. This is the entirety of her response:
Dear Mesdames Faraday and Borowy,
Thanks you for your letter regarding pay equity and Equal Pay Day. I appreciate your writing on behalf of the Equal Pay Coalition.
As your letter would also interest my colleagues the Honourable Kevin Flynn, Minister of Labour, and the Honourable Indira Naidoo-Harris, Minister of Status of Women, I have sent copies to them for their information and review.
Thank you again for writing. Please accept my best wishes.